Confession, I hate washing and blow drying my hair. Anyone else feel this way too? What IS the socially acceptable length of time between washings? Because I’m going a week if I can get away with it! That being said, I do need a dry shampoo to get me through. I’ve tried most on the market, and what I’ve found is that they are generally expensive, irritate my scalp, and many just don’t work that well. I keep coming back to a homemade version that I found several years ago. It’s incredibly simple to make and it lasts longer than a typical can of spray dry shampoo. Plus you can feel good about it being completely all natural.
Homemade Dry Shampoo
- 1 cup bentonite clay (mountain rose herbs or amazon). Bentonite clay has many great health and beauty uses. See below for additional uses.
- 1 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (mountain rose herbs and amazon).
- 5-10 drops of essential oils. A few suggestions- any citrus scent would be nice for freshness. Jasmine for a floral feminine touch. Cedarwood or lavender would also be nice.
- Spice jar with a shaker top.
- Optional- Cocoa powder for darker hair colors.
Mix the bentonite clay and arrowroot powder/cornstarch together in a small bowl.
Add the cocoa powder 1 teaspoon at a time, if you have darker hair. The darker the hair the more cocoa you might need.
Next add a few drops of essential oil.
Using a funnel transfer the dry shampoo to a glass spice jar.
A little will go a long way. Start small.
Tip: Apply the dry shampoo at night and lightly massage it in before bed. This will give the powder time to absorb oils while you sleep!
Other uses from bentonite clay:
Mix it with apple cider vinegar and apply to your face for a detoxifying mask.
Add some to your bath for detoxification and skin healing properties.
It can also be taken orally to help speed recovery of stomach viruses.
There are many more uses if you are interested try googling bentonite clay!